This week we talk with Scott Taylor, also known as “The Data Whisperer.” Scott is a globally recognized thought leader and a consultant on the strategic value of proper data management. As Principal of MetaMeta Consulting, he provides Data Evangelism-as-a-Service to help enterprises and tech brands tell their data story by focusing on the WHY of business alignment rather than the HOW of technical implementation. He lives in Bridgeport, CT where he often kayaks in Black Rock harbor. He can also juggle pins and blow a square bubble.
We discuss how data storytelling is important to gain funding for initiatives, and why the data management community struggles getting the message across to the business. He shares some wisdom about how to craft effective stories, and even why he uses puppets on his YouTube channel.
DATAVERSITY Articles mentioned in the show:
– Data Management has Failed! And Presented Us a Historic Opportunity – https://www.dataversity.net/data-management-has-failed-and-presented-us-an-historic-opportunity/
– Data Management Hasn’t Failed, but Data Management Storytelling Has – https://www.dataversity.net/data-management-hasnt-failed-but-data-management-storytelling-has/
For more information about Scott:
– LinkedIn Profile – https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottmztaylor/
– The Data Whisperer YouTube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVQ1YhjNqc77GVsb3Xs4tvw
– Too Much Tech Talk? (A puppet service announcement) – https://youtu.be/_JQ3HriEK0E
– Using the 3Vs of Big (Data) Storytelling: Vocabulary, Voice and Vision – https://issuu.com/infogovworld/docs/igw_vol_2_issue_2
– MetaMeta Consulting – https://www.metametaconsulting.com/
For more about Data Leadership Lessons:
– Subscribe to the audio version of Data Leadership Lessons wherever you get your podcasts
– Subscribe to the video playlist on YouTube
– Become a Data Leader at algmin.com